Accounts Reports Printing in Tally
You have learned the basic features and configuration options of Accounts Reports printing.
Accounts Reports Printing Configuration in Tally
You have learned the basic features and configuration options of Accounts Reports printing
Now we discuss about some common printing configuration options, applicable to all reports in general. The report specific options are explained at the respective Report.
Accounts Report Printing General Configuration in Tally
To set thecommon printing configuration options applicable to all reports in general, at Gateway, click F12:Configure >Printing >General to get Report Printing Common Configuration screen. Set the following default Report Printing options :
- Report Printing Date & Time : At Print Date & Time of Report, set Yes to print Date & Time of printing the report, at Report Heading, else set No (Date /Time is not printed in Report Title).
Having set Yes,you may further Set Yes at On all Pages of Report, to print the Date Time in all pages of Multi Page Report, else set No to print Date / time only at first page.
- Voucher Printing Date & Time : At Print Date & Time of Voucher Printing, set Yes to print Date of Time in Vouchers. Set No (default) to suppress the Date & Time of printing in Voucher.
Having set Yes,you may further Set Yes at On all Pages of Voucher, to print the Date Time in all pages of the Voucher for multi page voucher, else set No to print Date / time only at first page.
- State & PIN : At Print Country, State & PIN with Address, set Yes to print State & PIN in address lines (just below the Company Name). So, you should not include the State & PIN in the address part of Company Profile. Set No (default) to suppress the State & PIN at address line (useful if you have included State & PIN at address line to avoid duplicate printing of State & PIN).
- Vertical Lines / Borders : At Stop Printing Vertical Lines / Borders, set Yes to omit Vertical Lines & Borders. On omitting vertical lines, the speed will improve only in case of Impact Printer (e.g Dot Matrix Printer).In non-impact printer (like Ink Jet / Laser), there will be no appreciable change in speed. In such case, it is recommended to set No (default) at this option, to print Vertical Lines also to make the Report look better.
- Standard Top Space : At Standard Space in top of pages (inches), enter the value of top margin space (in inches) in report (default value 0.5 inch). This space is above the Top Margin as specified in Page Dimension.
Quick Format : Apart from the above, you may set the following options, relevant only in Quick format (normally used in Dot Matrix Printer),
- Split Long Names : Sometimes, long text data may not fit into the available space. At Split Long names into multiple lines, set Yes to split the long text lines which do not fit into the specified space, into multiple lines (but the line looks odd), else set No to avoid splitting (but the values may get truncated). So, in Quick Format, set Yes to avoid truncation otherwise some Important data may be truncated.
- Split Long Numbers : Sometimes, large numeric value may not fit into the available space. At Split Long Numbers / Amount into multiple lines, set Yes to split the large numbers or amounts that do not fit into the specified space, into multiple lines (but the line looks odd), else set No to avoid splitting (but the values may get truncated). So, in Quick Format, set Yes to avoid truncation otherwise amounts / numbers may be truncated.
- Party Name print Position : AtPrint Party Name & Address from Left Margin in Invoice,set Yes to Print Party Name & Address in Invoice from left Margin. Set No to print Party Name & Address centred)
The General printing options are applicable to all reports, for all companies.
Accounts Report Printing Screen
After you select any report from any of the report menu (at Report Display screen, click P:Print button), you get the Report Printing screen, through which you can set the various options of the Report.
We describe direct printing into the Printer. However, instead of direct printing, you may save the report in file (like in PDF/ Excel) and then print from saved report file.
Report Printing screen, may be divided into 3 major areas.
- At top part, you get the default general printer setting options of the Installed Printer (this remains same for all reports)
- At middle part, the default Report Title is shown (which you may change, for the current report)
- The lower part shows the default Report configuration options specific to the current report (which you may change)
Accounts Report Printing Buttons in Tally
At Report Printing screen, you get various Report Print related buttons at the at the right button bar, to set the respective options.
- L : Print Language – To set the Print language of the printed Report
- G: Page Number – To set the Starting Page Number & the Page Number range of the report to be printed
- R : Pre Printed / Plain Paper- To set the Stationery type of the Report (Plain / Pre printed )
- F: Print Format – To set the Report Format (Neat / Quick / Dot Matrix)
- C : Copies – To set Number of Copies of each report to be printed
- S : Select Printer – To select installed Printer for printing the current report
- T: Titling : To set the components of Report Title, to be printed.
- I: With Preview / No Preview : To see / suppress the Preview of the Report on screen
- N: Auto Column : To print auto repeating additional columns in Columnar reports
Accounts Report Page Number / Range set up in Tally
You may pre set the starting Page number and specify range of pages for reports printing. For multi page reports, the page number will auto increase consecutively.
The page number in the printed Report is dynamically created during printing as per starting Page Number specified. So, page numbers depend on the options selected at the time of printing. So, next time when you print the report with different print options, the page number might change. So, when you re-print a report specifying page numbers, make sure that you specify same printing options otherwise you will get different part of the report than expected. To make sure that you are getting the pages that you want, first preview the report on screen before printing.
At Report printing screen, Click G: Page Number to specify the starting Page Number and the Page Range of the Report to be printed.
Starting Report Page Number option set up in Tally : At Page Number Starts From, enter the starting page No (e.g. 5). Normally it is set to 1 to print from first page. This is useful to re-start from the middle even after being interrupted in a printing session of several pages, or print Running Page Numbers over successive print sessions.
Report Page Range option set up in Tally : At Page Range, enter a single page range (like 5-9) to print only a few selected pages, else select All (default Page No.) to print the entire report. You may omit the last page number to print upto the last page (e.g, you may enter 9- to print all pages from page number 9).
Thus, you may print with continuous page number running over several print sessions, by specifying the starting page number.
Paper Type set Up for Accounts Report Printing in Tally
Reports are normally printed in plain (blank) stationery. So, the pre report headings as well as report data, everything is printed by the printer in blank stationery.
However, some reports (like Invoice, Delivery Note, Orders etc), may be printed in pre printed stationery, with all headings pre-printed.
At Report Printing screen, select the Stationery type as follows:
- Plain paper : Click R:Plain Paper toggle button, to print in Plain Paper format. In Plain Paper format, the paper is blank. So, Tally prints everything of the report (Report Title & data), like Company name, address etc., and data labels
- Pre-Printed : Click R:Pre-Printed toggle buttonto print on pre-printed stationery (Report Title not printed), only data printed. The word Pre-Printed paper is added to the heading ‘Method’ at the Printing screen, to indicate current setting of Paper Type.
Print Format set up for Accounts Report Printing in Tally
Tally offers options for selection of modes (Formats) for Printing, to facilitate quick printing in Impact Printer (like Dot Matrix Printer) and Non Impact Printer like (Ink Jet / Laser Pinter).
Print Mode selection in Tally
To select the Print Format, at Report printing screen, Click F: Print Format button to get Print Format (Print Mode) set up screen. At Print Mode , select from the following options.
- : Select Neat Mode to print on non-impact printer like Ink Jet / Laser printer. For Dot Matrix printer, the printing in Neat Mode would be slower, but the print quality is superior.
- This option is available under Neat Mode. For faster printing in Dot Matrix Printer, select Dot Matrix Format.
- You may Select Quick / Draft to get faster printing in Dot Matrix Printer, or to save report in file. The print quality may be bit inferior. This is useful for printing in Dot Matrix Printer. Now-days, mostly ink jet / Laser Printer is used. So, Quick Mode is generally not used now a days.
In Quick / Draft mode, large figures may get truncated or mis-aligned. This mode is useful to save the Report in a file. Now-a-days, with proliferation of Non-Impact Printer (Ink Jet / Laser Printer), and variety of Format available for Report Export option (allowing to save Report in file in various formats).
Accounts Report Printing Number of Copies set up in Tally
To print more than one copy of the report, at Report printing screen, click C:Copies button to get Number of Copies screen. Enter number of copies to print (initially it is set to 1)
Printer Selection for Accounts Report Printing in Tally
Sometimes multiple printers are installed with the system. In such case, you may select the printer to which the current repot would be directed for printing.
If more than one printer is installed in your system, At Report printing screen, click S:Select Printer button to get select printer screen. Select the Printer from the list of installed printers to direct the report to be printed, to the selected printer port.
Report Title set up at Accounts Report Printing in Tally
You may opt to print various additional info at Report Title, as desired.
At Report printing screen, click T:Titling button to get Report Title set up screen.
Now set up the Report Title options as follows:
- Title: Tally proposes a standard Report Title, which is printed at each Page Title for the current report. Change it if you like
- Sub-Title: Enter sub title Report to be printed just below the Report Title, in 1st page only.
- Additional Information: Set ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to print the following particulars at the Report Title.
- Print with Company Name : Set Yes to print Company Name, else set No
- Print with Company Address : Set Yes to print Company Address, else set No
- Company Address to Print: This option appears when you have set Multiple Address for the Company. The list of multiple Address as specified appear, from which you may select the respective Address (select Primary to print the Company Address entered at the Company creation screen)
- Print with CIN :In case of Company, set Yes to print CIN of Company
- Print with Company Phone Number : Set Yes to print Company Phone Number, else set No
- Print Date Range of Report : Set Yes to print Date Range as specified at Report Printing screen, else set No
- Print Page Numbers in Report : Set Yes to print Page Number at each Page else set No (Page Number is not printed)
The Report Title is printed as per options set each time you print the report. So, you have to set the Report Title options, at each session to get the Heading printed correctly.
It is good practice to print Report & Voucher Printing Date & Time, through General Printing Configuration. The Date / Time is printed in Multi Account Reports as well as in Reports printed through Display.
Accounts Report Preview for printing in Tally
Before printing on paper, you may optionally preview on screen, how the report will look like when printed. At Report printing screen, Click I:Print Preview / No Preview toggle button
- : Click I:No Preview, the report is directly printed on Paper, without showing preview on screen.
- : Click I:Print Preview to see an exact replica of the Report on screen. The Report is not directly printed on Paper.
Scale at Print Preview : In Print Preview mode (also referred as Report Preview) of the Report, a scale at the Left & Bottom Edge to show the Report print area and layout of the Report, in respect of the paper size.
Buttons at Print Preview Screen :. You get following buttons at Report Preview screen, to quickly traverse through various part of the Report (not available in zoom mode)
- :Click Zoom button at Preview screen to zoom in / out the preview display. In zoomed Report, use +/- keys (using keyboard), or Ctrl+Scroll (using Mouse), to further zoom the report upto 600%.
- : This button is activated when the Report extends to multiple pages. Click PgDn to move to successive pages, till you reach the last page of the Report.
- : This button is activated to move backwards, Click PgUp when you have moved to successive pages, through Pg Up button, till you reach the first page of the Report.
- : This button is activated in case of wide Report extending beyond the width of the Page. Click PgRight button to pan the report to the right till you reach the right edge of the report.
- : This button is activated when you have panned rightwards in a Report, through Pg Right button. Click Pg Left button to pan the report to the left till you reach the left edge of the report
- : Click Home button to jump to the first page (start of the Report), from any position in the Report.
- : Click In MM to show the scale in Millimeters, Click In Inches to show the scale in Inches
- : Click Print to print the report from Print Preview screen
- : Click Mail to e-mail the report
- : Click Esc to exit the Print Preview
Print Preview option is not available for Quick / Draft format.
It is a good practice to preview the Report before printing to ensure that you have specified correct period and printing options. To see print preview, click I:Print Preview to see the Report on screen. You flip / pan the report through the Pg Up Pg Dn / PgRight PgLeft buttons at the bottom of the Pint Preview. Press <esc> to exit from Print Preview.
To change print option, set No at Print (Y/N) and then change the printing options. See the preview again.
Accounts Report Printing from Print Preview screen in Tally
Having ensured that the Report is alright as shown in the preview, Click Print button at Print Preview screen, to directly print from Print Preview screen.
Saving Accounts Report in file in Tally
Apert from Printing on paper, report in Tally may be saved in File in digital media, in various formats, like ASCII, PDF, HTML, XLS, JPEG, etc.
To save the report in a file, click E:Export (or press Alt+E) button at top vertical button Bar to get Report Export screen. Now set the options as follows:
- Format : At Format, select the Report format from the list. Reports are normally saved in Excel (.xlsx-useful to make further customization, alteration, column additions etc, in the report) . PDF is extensively used to save the report to be read easily, or to transmit the report through mail etc. JPEG is sometimes used to place the report in image format. HTML is used for display in web page.
- Report File Location : At Export Location, enter the pathname where the exported report file would be stored. You may enter the path of an external removable device (like Pen Drive, External Hard disk etc), to be carried / copied to different computer / device
- Report File Name: At Output File Name, Enter the name of file (a default filename is proposed by Tally which may be changed). The report is saved under the filename at the report file location specified.
- Page Size : In case of PDF, at Page Size, select the page size from the list standard pages (like A5, A4, A3, Legal, Letter, etc), else select User Defined and the enter the page width & height in mm.
- Page Orientation : For PDF/ JPEG format, at page orientation, select the page orientation (Landscape / Portrait)
- Resolution : For HTML format at Resolution, select the Resolution from the list
Excel Format : If Excel Format is selected at Format, then, further specify :
- Output Sheet Name : At Output Sheet Name, enter the Excel Sheet Name for the report to be saved
- Update : At Update Existing File, set Yes to overwrite the similar older file, if existing, else set No.
- Excel Formatting : At Excel (Spreadsheet) Formatting, set Yes for the file to be opened by Microsoft Excel application.
- Color Spreadsheet : Having set Yes at Excel Formatting, you may further set Yes to save the report with colour, else set No to save without colour attributes.
The report saved in file becomes independent and external to Tally. You ay modify the repot, send by e-mail, insert in any document, or print it without using Tally software.
Advantages of Saving of Report
Saving a Report in a file offers much more advantage, convenience, saving of time, avoidance of mistake, lower resources and cost, over direct printing of Report.
We briefly mention the salient points of advantage of saving report and printing of saved reports by the users in the organisation, instead of allowing everyone to access Tally and directly print report every time.
- Security : Only one person (or a very few selected person to input data or print report) would be allowed to access the Accounting Software (i.e Tally) .
- Resources : You can do with fewer computers. Most companies will be able to work with a single user computer instead of Multi User in LAN / Remote. Tally would be used mostly to data input only. All regular reports may be saved in specified folder (or in Cloud like Google Drive), so that anyone can access from anyplace, any time.
- Updated Reports : The regular standard reports would be updated at the end of specified period (day/ week/month), by designated person. The saved reports may be password protected, to be opened accessed by authorised person only. This would ensure security. No other person would have authority print any report.
- Saving of Time : This would save time, as reports would be created only once, to be viewed / printed multiple times, by different persons
- Knowledge of Tally & Training : All other people in the organisation need not learn operation of Tally. They would simply view or print the saved reports, without using Tally.
- Powerful printing tools : The save report (in Excel / PDF) offer much more powerful features of sorting, selection, filtering, contents management, attributes of colour and other features, mathematical computation (Excel Reports), commenting, etc. than what Tally Provides. These features are widely known among all users now a days and they are much more comfortable with such reports, to customize and model as per their own requirements. Excel reports gives powerful graphs.
- Data Re-use : Reports data, saved in ASCII / XML can be used in any customised reports created by the user.
So, in all instances, it is much better to save a report in desired format, than directly print the report. By restricting direct report printing (forcing all reports to be saved in a cetralised place), security is much enhanced as every printing leaves a trail which can be traced to locate the user who initiated the print job
Multi-Part Accounts Report Printing in Tally
In some wide reports, the entire line does not fit the specified page width. In such case, you may print the entire report into several parts, and paste the parts together side by side. This way, you may print a report of any width even with a smaller width paper (e.g in standard A-4 stationery)
Viewing Multiple Parts in Print Preview
In case of multiple part report, at Print Preview, the Part Number of Multi Part report is shown at right upper corner. You may move between the parts through PgUp, PgDn, PgLt, Pg Rt buttons at Print preview.
Identifying the Parts : Each part is identified with an alphabet and associated to the respective page number (like cells of a spreadsheet). Each page can have parts commencing with the alphabet A and ending with Z. In case the number of parts for a page are exceeding the alphabet Z, the fresh parts commence with a combination of alphabets AA, AB, AC……AZ, BA, BB, BC…..BZ and so on.
Printing Specific Parts
To print specific parts of the report, select the required report that you want to print, click G: Page Nos button (or press Ctrl+G), as described earlier. In the Page Range field, enter the required page numbers or parts to be printed. E.g.: 1B to All to print all pages and parts commencing from 1B (1B……nB, 1c….nC,……….) where n is the ending page number.
Page Part specification in Multi Part Report : To print a specific page part, at Report printing screen, in page range, you may also include words like to specify the Page Parts, like :All; Exclude/Excluding/Except/Without/Not; From, To; Even / Odd / Front / Back, To/Upto/Uptill/Till; Beg/Beginning/Starting/First/Initial; End/Ending/Last/Final etc,
Examples of Page Range specifications
|Page Range Specifications||Pages to be printed|
|All||Prints All pages (and all parts) of the report|
|5,8,10||Prints the pages 5, 8 & 9 (all the Parts)|
|4A, 6B, 7C||Prints the part of page 4, par B of Page 6, & part C of Page 7 only|
|7C to 9D||Starts Printing from Part C of Page 7 and continues printing as per default print sequence (7C, 7D…8A, 8B..; 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D) and stops after printing part 9D.|
|1-5, exclude 3A||Prints all parts of pages 1,2,3,4 & 5 except Part A of page 5|
|2-6 Even||Prints pages, 2,4 & 6 (all parts)|
|Upto 3A||Prints page 1,2 (all parts) and part A of page 3.|
|Front||Prints odd pages|
|Back||Prints Even pages|
Printing selective pages : Though the multi page selection method appear to be extensive and daunting, it is not very convenient when you like to selectively print some specified report, which are not contiguous. These is no means to selectively mark pages to be printed. For example, it will not be easy to print randomly selective pages, in one shot.
Combining Multi Part Report : However, it is not easy to combine or use multiple parts printed report.
When a report spills beyond the width of paper, depending on the Report Type :
- Paste the Report Parts :The stripped contents in successive right part pages are printed. In such case, you have to paste the Report side by side, to get the full report
- Tile the Report Parts :The First column of the Report is repeated in successive Right parts. In such case you may place the parts successively and use the Report without pasting all the parts together (as the first column is printed in each printed part)
Multi Account Report Printing Menu in Tally
From Display, you may need to get the report through drill down. You can print the report of currently selected Account only (e.g the current Ledger Account) at a time, using P:Print button. Display is useful to view report and to casually print the report instantly while viewing, from Display screen, using P:Print button.
Through Multi Account Printing, you may conveniently print directly, the regular bulk reports like Books of Accounts, Register etc (for example Multiple Ledger accounts at a time)
At Gateway of Tally, Select Multi Account Printing to get Multi Account Printing Menu .
Select the appropriate menu option and finally select the desired report to be printed from the menu.
Multi Account Report Printing Configuration in Tally
In Multi Account Printing Configuration, you have to specify the Report Period at prinitng screen. You set the Printing Options & Buttons in the same way as Printing from Display
All buttons at button bar (except Print Preview ) as discussed earlier, work in the same way in Multi Account Printing also.
Click here to see PDF