Stock Categories in Tally
An organisiation, whether, trader or manufacturer, uses numerous Stock Items. The Stock Items are normally organised into Stock Group, the prime classification of Stock Item.
However, organisation may need various ways of classification of Stock Items through different attributes. For example, a Book Seller may like to classify Books, as per Subject, Publisher, Author, Syllabus, and many other attributes. In such case, multiple Stock categories may be created in Tally to organise Stock Items as per multiple Attributes. to produce various analytical and summary reports based on Stock Category. Stock Item organised into multiple Stock Category also helps to find alternate Stock Items based on any attribute,
Stock Categories in Tally
Stock category Activation
Stock Categories are parallel classification to Stock Group for categorising Stock Items. Stock Group helps to classify Stock Items in one dimension. Stock Categories are used to classify Stock Item in another independent dimension.
Stock Categories are useful when the trader deals with variant products with similar utility. For example, a book publisher may keep stock group as per Subject and stock category as per Publisher, Author etc. So, he can find all the books of a specified topic, language, author or publisher. This way, stock categories can be created for manufacturer, model, brand etc to offer alternate Items and more choice to customers. So, if one book of a specific author is not available, he may find all other books on similar subject.
Stock Category Activation in Tally
To activate Stock categories features for the Company, Click F11: Features > Inventory Features and set Yes at Maintain Stock Categories.
Stock Category Creation in Tally
You may create Stock Categories, in the same way you create Stock Groups
Select GoT>Inventory Info > Stock Category > Create at Single Stock Category to get Stock category creation screen. Now enter the particulars as described below:
Primary Stock Category creation
Subordinate Stock Category creation
- Stock Category Name: At Name field, enter Name of Stock Category
- Stock Category Alias: At Alias (if activated), you may enter Stock Category Alias
- Parent Stock Category: At Under field, select the Parent Stock Category from List of Categories (or select Primary to create top level Stock Category). The first Stock Category created must be Primary
If the Parent Stock Category does not exist, press Alt+C at Under Field, to create a new Parent Stock Category in the same way as creation of new Stock Category
Stock Categories Alteration / Deletion / Display in Tally
- Select Inventory Info > Stock Category > Alter and select the Stock Category to get Stock Category Alteration screen. Carry out necessary alteration and Press Ctrl+A to save.
To Delete the Stock Category press Alt+D, and set Yes at Delete Yes or No? . The Stock Category would be deleted if it is not linked with any Stock Item
- Select Inventory Info > Stock Category > Display at Single Stock Category and select Stock Category to be displayed. You can view but cannot Alter.
Stock Item creation with Stock Category in Tally
It is recommended to set Stock category at the time of Stock Item creation.
Stock Item creation with Stock Category in Tally
At Stock Item creation / alteration screen (GoT>Inventory info>Stock category>Create or Alter), specify the parent Stock Category of the Stock Item (like Parent Group).
If the Parent Stock Category does not exist, press Alt+C at Stock Category Field, to create a new Parent Stock Category in the same way as creation of new Stock Category.
You may change the Stock Category in Stock Item or link a Stock category (in which Stock category was not linked earlier), through Stock Item Alteration (GoT>Inventory Info>Stock Category>Alter) as usual
Stock Categories List in Tally
After creation of Stock Category, to display / print the list of Stock Categories, at GoT>Display>List of Accounts, click K;Stock Categories to get the List of Stock Categories (like Stock Item master list). The Stock categories are listed in Hierarchical structure, in alphabetical order of Primary Stock category.
Like other Master records, you may also create New Stock Category, Alter / Delete a Stock Category using the C:Create Mst, <Enter>Alter & D:Delete buttons at the footer, all from one place.
Stock Category List
Stock Category Summary in Tally
Stock Category Summary shows the Transaction & Stock Summary of all Items placed under the selected Stock Category.
Stock Category Summary with all Details
Select Display > StatEment Of Inventory > Categories and select a Stock Category to (select Primary to get all top level Stock Categories & Stock Items) get Stock Category Summary for the selected Category
Stock Category summary Configuration options in Tally
The Contents of Stock Category Summary are described below :
i) Multi Column Options
Set Yes / No to the following options as required. Each option affects multiple set of columns (Opening / Inward / Outwards/ Closing)
–Quantity / Rate / Value : The following columns appear for Opening Balance, Goods Inwards, Goods outwards & Closing Balance . The option is applicable for all these columns, if activated (e.g if Yes is set at Show Quantity, Quantity column will appear in the activated columns (Goods Inwards, Goods outwards & Closing balance, and like that for Rate & Value column)
- Quantity : At Show Quantities, set Yes to show the Quantity column (and the base unit), else set No to suppress the Quantity column
- Rate : At Show Rates, set Yes to show the Rate column (as per the base UoM displayed with Quantity figure), else set No to suppress the Rate column.
- Values : At Show Values, set Yes to show the Value column, else set No to suppress the Value column
–Opening/ Inwards / Outwards / Closing: Set Yes to show the figures for the respective 3 columns activated (Quantity, Rate, Value)
- Opening : At Show Opening Balance, set Yes to show the figures of Opening Balance for the respective columns activated ( Quantity, Rate, Value).
- Inwards : At Show Goods Inwards, set Yes to show the figures of Goods Inwards for the respective column activated ( Quantity, Rate, Value)
- Outwards: At Show Goods Outwards, set Yes to show the figures of Goods Outwards for the respective column activated ( Quantity, Rate, Value)
- Closing : At Show Closing Balance, set Yes to show the figures of Closing balance for the respective column activated ( Quantity, Rate, Value)
The values (Quantity, Rate, Amount) of each of the column (Opening, Inwards, Outwards, Closing) are displayed according to Report Period (set through F2: period button):
ii) Set Yes / No to the following options to show / suppress the columns as required
- Items Types : At Show All Items, set Yes to show the Item even if all the displayed figures for the Item is zero, else set No to suppress the Items where the values of all the displayed column are zero. (if value of any of the displayed column for the Item is non zero, the Item will be displayed)
- Cost / Contribution : At Show Consumption & Gross Profit, set Yes (or click F7: Show Profit / Hide Profit button) to show the Consumption Value (Cost) & Gross Profit (Contribution) for Sales / Outwards column. Gross is computed as (Sales Value – Cost), else set No, the Consumption Value & Gross Profit column is not shown.
- Alternate Unit : At Show using Alternate units, set Yes to show the quantity in Alternate units also (for Items having Dual Units), else set No, only the Base Unit is shown.
- Tail Unit : At Show Tail units of Compound Units, set Yes to show the tail units of compound unit, else set No. the base unit is shown (with fraction values, where applicable)
- Format: At Expand all levels in Detailed Format, set Yes to show the Items upto the lowest level details (in detail mode- i.e, when F1: Detail is selected), else set No. Only next level detail (Item Group / Stock Items) are shown in detail mode.
Subordinate Details : On drill down from any Stock Category / Stock Item, the next level reports appear as follows :
- From Stock Category : The Stock Summary for the selected Stock Category appears showing the next level Stock Category / Stock Items
- From Stock Items : The Stock Item Monthly Summary for the selected Stock Item appears showing the monthwise figures for each month for the current period.
Stock Category Summary Buttons
AtStock Category Summary, you get the following buttons
- F1: Condensed / Detailed : Toggle button (Condensed – To show the top level Stock Category info only. Detailed – to show next level details of Stock Categories)
- F4: Category : To select another Stock Category from the list of Stock Category to show the Report for other Stock Category
- F7: Show Profit / Hide Profit : To show Stock Itemwise Contribution (Gross Profit) in respect of Outwards
Stock Category Summary Buttons in Tally
Stock Category Columnar Summary Display in Tally
Stock Category columnar Summary in Tally
To get Stock Category Columnar Summary figures in adjacent columns for better comparison, at Stock Category Summary Report, click as follows:
- C: New Column : To create a new columns as per specified column definition, to get the corresponding figures in adjacent columns for better comparison.
- N: Auto Column : To create multiple columns (as per specified period frequency or for various Stock Valuation methods)
Stock Category Columnar Summary Buttons
Columnar Stock Category Summary Column set up
At Stock Category Summary, click the button as follows :
Single New Column : Click C: New Column to create an adjacent new column, to get corresponding figures for better comparison. Set the column definition as follows, for :
- Another Company : At Name of Company, select a Company from the list of selected Company
- Another Period : At From & To field respectively, specify the Start & End Date of the report
- Another Stock Category : At Name of Stock Category field, select another Stock Category
- Another Valuation Method : At Method of Valuation, select the Valuation Method. It is useful for comparison of consumption / stock values in different methods for management decisions (like price fixing / quotation, make buy decisions etc and to get Stock value to be entered manually in the Accounts System.
This way you may create several adjacent new columns in any manner as desired.
Automatic Multiple Columns : Click N: Auto Column to create repeating multiple columns for :
- Regular Period interval : Select a period interval (e.g weekly, monthly, quarterly etc), to get automatically created columns for each period, showing comparative periodical figures
- Stock Valuation Methods : Select Stock Valuation Methods to get automated columns for each of the Stock Valuation Methods specified by Tally.
Columnar Stock Category Summary columns set up in Tally
Stock Category Movement Analysis in Tally
The contents of Stock Category Movement Analysis is similar to Stock Group Movement Analysis showing the Details of Inwards & Outwards as per Items under same Stock Category.
Stock Category Movement Analysis in Tally
At Display > Inventory Books> Movement Analysis menu, select Category Analysis and select a Stock Category (select Primary to get Analysis Report for all Stock Categories) to get Stock Category Analysis report
Stock Category Movement Analysis Configuration in Tally
At Stock Category Analysis display, click F12:Configure to get Stock Category Analysis Configuration screen. Set the options to get Stock Category Analysis Report as per configuration set
- Format : At Format, select Condensed to get the top level Primary Category only, else select Detailed to get the next level details
- Detail Level : At Expand All Levels in Detailed Format, set Yes to show details to the lowest level, else, No to show only the next level details.
- Inwards : At Show Inward column (showing quantity, rate , value as specified), set Yes to show the goods Inward column, else set No. The goods Inward column will NOT be shown.
- Outwards : At Show Outward column (showing quantity, rate , value as specified), set Yes to show the goods Outwards column, else No. The goods Outwards column will NOT be shown
- Quantity : At Show Quantities, set Yes to show quantity figures (with UoM), else set No to suppress Quantity column
- Rates : At Show Rates, set Yes to show Rates (Value / Quantity) , else set No to suppress Rate column
- Values : At ShowValues, Set Yes to show value, else set No to suppress value column
At Stock Category Analysis display, you get buttons, like Stock Group Analysis
Stock Category Movement Analysis Buttons in Tally
Stock Categories creation in Multiple Mode
We have described Stock Category entry in Single entry mode, in which you may create / alter / display ONE Stock Category in one screen. As described for entry of Multiple Stock Group / Stock Item, you may create, alter & delete Stock Categories, through Multiple Stock Categories option of Stock Categories Menu (GoT>Inventory Info>Stock Categories>Create ) in same way.
SelectInventory Info > Stock Categories > CReate (under Multiple Stock Groups) to get Multiple Stock Entry screen to create multiple Stock Categories in one screen
- Parent Category:At Under Category , select the parent Category to place the new Stock Items under one Stock Category, else select All Items to select parent Stock for each Stock Item.
- Stock Category Name : At Name of Category, enter the Stock Category Name
- Parent Category : The Parent Category entered at Under Category is carried at Under field and this field is skipped, else enter the Parent Stock category of the Stock Category being created. If the Parent Stock Category is not yet created, press Alt+C at Under to create a new Stock Category and select it at Under field.
Multiple Stock Categories creation in Tally
Multiple Stock Categories Buttons in Tally
At Multiple Stock Category creation screen, you get the buttons, as described for multiple entry of Stock Group / Stock Items.
Multiple Stock Categories creation Buttons in Tally
Click here to see PDF